Amy Webb: Our Uncertain Future with AI
How bright or dark will our future be with artificial intelligence? Who will control it? Amy Webb is a quantitative futurist and author of the book, The Big Nine: How the Tech Titans and Their Thinking Machines Could Warp Humanity. She joins the podcast to describe how AI is being controlled by just nine companies. In the U.S., the “G-Mafia”: Google, Microsoft Apple, Facebook, IBM, and Amazon. In China, the “BAT”: Baidu, Alibaba, and Tencent. Webb explains why the future depends on courageous leaders, informed citizens, and collaboration on a global scale now…before it’s too late.
Listen to this episode to learn:
- What AI is — and what it isn’t
- The two developmental tracks of AI — one in China driven by the government, the other in the US driven by markets — and the consequences of each
- China’s “Social Credit System” and the potential deleterious impact it could have on the world
- What Amazon’s Alexa-powered microwave can tell us about the future
- The importance of every consumer to have an AI education (that means you!)
You may be interested in:
BAT companies prove the case for customer-centrism
by Felix Koch (C Space)
Alibaba, Baidu and Tencent have built multi-billion dollar businesses by putting the customer—not the advertiser—at the centre of their thinking, and Western platforms should take note.