Bernie Banks: Leadership is Influence
Leadership is not a role. It’s a process. A process of exercising influence in order to bring about a desired outcome. So says Bernie Banks. He’s the Associate Dean for Leadership Development and a Clinical Professor of Management at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. He served as a U.S. Army Officer for more than 30 years, retiring from the Army as a Brigadier General in 2016 after having successfully led West Point’s Department of Behavioral Sciences & Leadership. Banks joins the podcast to explain his eight core leadership principles and draws parallels between effective leadership in the military and in business.
Listen to this episode to learn:
- Why leaders can’t default to exerting formal authority and a “do it because I said so” approach
- Why leadership is about establishing credibility, building empathy, earning trust, and aligning interests
- The West Point Honor Code and what business could gain from following it
- Charisma doesn’t guarantee great leadership (though, it can help)
- Reasons why we distrust our leaders the decline in trust in institutions and our growing distrust in leadership
- Why companies should accept that different leaders may be required at different phases of an organization’s growth
- Why disciplined execution is perhaps the most important leadership principle of all
You may be interested in:
How do you solve a problem for IKEA? "We discovered a happy life at home is a mix of my space, your space, and our space - but people have a hard time really defining my space, within mixed/shared spaces." Lydia Choi-Johansson Intelligence...
Recipe For Successful Parental Leave: Embed A Culture Of Support So That Parents Don’t Leave!
by Joy Burnford
Our UK Managing Director, Kathryn Blanshard, shares her tips on the key ingredients for parental success.
Outside In: New and Emerging Conversations on Customer Centricity In 3 years we’ve launched over 85 episodes of Outside In – the customer centricity podcast. Outside In: New and Emerging Conversations on Customer Centricity is a collection of...
Jason Robins, CEO, DraftKings: Betting on a New Market Subscribe to the Outside In podcast: The demand for sports betting has existed for decades in the United States, but it has traditionally been confined to the black market and Nevada, the only state...
Bernie Banks: Leadership is Influence Subscribe to the Outside In podcast: Leadership is not a role. It’s a process. A process of exercising influence in order to bring about a desired outcome. So says Bernie Banks. He’s the Associate Dean for Leadership...