Kate Tellers, The Moth: Principles of Great Storytelling
Stories are the great unifier. When told well, they create a powerful connection to the human experience. No organization knows this better than The Moth. Since 1997, the nonprofit has shared more than 30,000 true personal stories in front of live audiences around the world. The Peabody Award-winning Moth Radio Hour airs on more than 500 public radio stations, and The Moth Podcast is one of the world’s most listened-to podcasts. There’s even three critically acclaimed Moth books, the most recent of which debuted at #12 on The New York Times bestsellers list.
Kate Tellers is a master storyteller, host, and director of MothWorks at The Moth, a program that’s worked with companies like Google, Nike, and Ford to teach employees and executives how, through personal stories, they can communicate better, celebrate shared values, and connect with each other. Tellers joins the podcast to talk about the principles of Moth storytelling and why a great story can make us understand ourselves and empathize with others.
Listen to this episode to learn:
- The origin of The Moth and how this female-led organization has become such a beloved platform for storytelling
- Why vulnerability, authenticity, and transformation are the essential elements in a powerful story
- Why “specificity breeds universality” and other practical tips you can use to craft your next story
- Avoiding “And then, and then, and then…” and other storytelling don’ts
- How leaders like Melinda Gates and Al Gore effectively use stories to create change
- False vulnerability, misleading your audience, and whether we can avoid the “dark side” of storytelling
For more information: themoth.org
Follow MothWorks on Instagram
Photo by Jason Falchook
You may be interested in:
Stop & Shop customers star in new COVID-19 safe shopping campaign
by Russell Redman
In a new advertising campaign, Stop & Shop is turning to a trusted source to promote safe shopping practices during the coronavirus crisis: its customers.
Employee engagement vs the lockdown
by Kate Bassett
In this video, Professor Cary Cooper and C Space’s regional CEO Felix Koch talk to Management Today’s Kate Bassett on how to support workers during the COVID-19 crisis.
Recipe For Successful Parental Leave: Embed A Culture Of Support So That Parents Don’t Leave!
by Joy Burnford
Our UK Managing Director, Kathryn Blanshard, shares her tips on the key ingredients for parental success.